It has been a few weeks since my first post and pretty much everything here has been fairly serious so far, not a bad thing but I do love balance, so with that in mind, I thought today I would share some fun, silly, random and perhaps little known things about myself with you, dear readers.
In honor of the new year I will cut the wild and crazy fun off at 13 things (hope I can think of that many!), so here in no particular order are 13 things about me......
1. I was born and raised in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I moved to Huntsville, AL in 1994 and have been here ever since - wow it will be 19 years this December - how on earth did that happen?!!?
2. I am an only child and mother to an only child.
3. I was the lead singer (or a reasonable facsimile) of a band in college, we called ourselves UFB which stood for Unfit For Broadcast. We were all in the Radio & Television Broadcasting program. I had really short dark hair, a blonde tail that went half way down my back and wore clothes that caused my mother to refuse to stand with me at the bus stop in the mornings - it was the 80's - nuff said.
4. I did not get my drivers license until I was 36 years old and took my road test 6 months pregnant in a minivan. You know they had to pass me out of pure pity alone!!
5. I met Carly Simon when I worked as a receptionist out of college at a major Toronto radio station CFTR/CHFI. This was a huge thrill for me as I was/am a big fan and was lucky enough to have her autograph an album...you know those old round black vinyl things that we used to play on something called record players.
I had it framed.
6. My favorite kind of sandwich is peanut butter and cucumber. Smooth peanut butter, English cucumbers on thick crusty bread is best. Try it....really!
7. I am pretty good at music trivia - especially the 1970's....my brain has tons of lyrics floating around which I sing/recite to suit just about any occasion. My son and husband pretty much tune this out now and I do my best to control myself in environments outside of my home. If I know you in real life and you would like to see me in action just let me know and I will gladly dazzle you! ;-)
8. I had a wonderful piano teacher when I was young, she was blind and had a pet raccoon who sat her on baby grand when she played - she absolutely fascinated me!
9. I made my first film debut at age 4 on the big screen in a Toronto Parks and Recreation film that ran endless loop at the Canadian National Exhibition in the Horticultural Building one summer, running through a sprinkler at Renee Park in my yellow and navy bathing suit. We didn't even know I was in the film, but an observant viewer nearby pointed it out and we stood there watching it over and over that afternoon. I did not sign any autographs.10. I had two imaginary friends when I was young who I would meet in the park and play with - only children get lonely sometimes. The girl who was my age looked like Little Bo Peep was named Chickata Lou.
The boy of about the same age, bore a striking resemblance to Little Boy Blue and his name was Alley the Halley. I would meet them at the park early in the mornings where they would come out from their hiding place in the trees to play on the swings and slides with me. I have always loved fairy tales and still do. Have you seen the TV show Once Upon a Time?? We love it! My favorite fairy tale is The Princess and the Pea.
11. My grandmother was the first woman in our family to get an education beyond high school, she attended the University of Toronto and was a librarian. She passed her love of books and reading on to me - I remember our outings to the library as magical times when I was very young - I loved Curious George books in those days. In our family lineage I was the next female after her to continue my education beyond high school.
12. My son was born 2 weeks early after the decision was made to induce labor because the baby was 'big' and I was terrified to have a C Section - he was 10 lbs, 1 oz and 19 inches long. He held his heap up on his own the very same evening he was born. Is it any wonder I only had one child? ;-)
and last but not least......
13. I was born in 1964 to an unmarried Catholic girl. This was a big deal then, and big secrets followed.....I'll be sharing some of these things as time goes on and we get to know each other better......
Until then, tell me something fun, interesting, wacky, silly and or random about you! I would challenge each of you to leave a comment and share at least one random thing about yourself....it's certainly not all about me, so that would make it....your turn!